Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cozy Dinner

Yesterday it was a dark as can be all day long. Rain poured and a stiff breeze blew leaves all around. When the weather is like that I like to make meals like this:

Chicken stock on the stove (I use leftover roasted chicken frame that I always put in the freezer for days like this).
After taking the chicken off the frame I saute leeks celery and garlic (in last of course) in a little sesame and olive oil - mmm smells so good!!!
Soften up some carrots and cabbage in the same pan and then throw in any other veggies that need to be eaten up - sometimes it's broccoli, zucchini or cauliflower.
Toss in some pasta - what ever I have on hand and season to taste with sea salt and pepper and then add a healthy dollop of soy sauce.
Serve with a crusty loaf of French bread - I have to make two batches because there is always someone hovering around needing to "taste test" the bread when it comes out of the oven (usually that person is my husband although if he's not around then one of the boys seems to magically appear when they hear the timer go off!!)
Dinner time!!

Finish up with warm baked apples drenched with a spicy brown sugar and cinnamon sauce

A warm cozy dinner for a cold blustery evening!! To me this is art!! I love to stay home and create yummy, healthy wholesome meals for my family to come and gather around the table at the end of a stormy day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A picture of our dining table almost all winter long. Gotta love those cold, wintery days when the fire is going and soup is on the stove. My favorite time of year. I get enough of it too living in Wisconsin but I could take more and live in Alaska!!!

Cinnamon said...

Can I come for dinner?

hee hee

That looks delicious~!

~Cinnamon

BECKY said...

How on earth did I miss this fab foodie dinner????!!!! Oh...it is hot here and I would still love some of that soup and bread!! Love how you do everything so simply and in such a lovely way!!
I need it to keep rubbing off on me! In my home simplicity and the beauty thereof is one of my goals and I'm slowly getting there!! PTL!!

I'm SO glad we met out here in blogland, gal!! You just really bless my heart!!

Have a wonderful evening!
Love n hugs,
Becky

Oh and we really are kindred spirits if you are reading and loving Oswald Chambers!! One of my all-time faves!! The theme of his devotional is "Absolute Obedience" (at least that's my take on it!) Let me know if you come up with another one when you're through!

:O)