Monday, October 20, 2008

New Skills

I have been knitting for some time but when I've been watching my friends crochet I was intrigued with the art. Crochet seems to have some distinct advantages over knitting - it's easier to correct mistakes and if your hook get hijacked by a toddler you only have to find one loop to put it back - not so with knitting. Crochet is easier to carry around and the hooks aren't dangerous to toddlers - unlike knitting needles which seems to hold an odd attraction to my 3 year old. He seems to think they are either drumsticks or a sword (and a knitting needle can inflict some real damage if used that way!!) So, I learned how to crochet a few weeks ago. After some great demonstrations from my friend and reading several books I got the hang of it. And the best thing I discovered - I can crochet and hold nursing or sleeping baby at the same time!!! (that may change when she gets bigger but for now it's great!!)

This baby blanket is what I've been working on: But it's time to set that aside for a short time and begin working on some Christmas presents: I love to keep my hands busy and I have found that when my hands are busy my brain does not tread down paths that it shouldn't. Because of that I actually think my busy hands even in my rest time pleases God. It's good discipline for my mind and helps with the family budget when I can create gifts from home. So, what are you working on? Are you creating Christmas gifts this year?

3 comments:

Simply Stork said...

yup...I just posted about just that...I am making things this year, like usual...I'm a hand crafter. The funny thing is, when I first started crafting instead of buying expensive gifts it was out of neccessity...now it's because family can't wait to see what the project is each year. Who'd a thought hand crafted would be more valuable to them?

~simply~

Unknown said...

Hi there,
I like your new background! How did you figure out how to make a new one like that? I can't wait to see what your new crochet project is. The baby's blanket is coming along so well! And it is very cute! I am hoping rto see if I can crochet one or two Christmas things this year. I love how portable it is! You are doind well with it and seemed to have picked it up quite well!

Maren said...

I love Crochet! It's very relaxing to me, and like you, I like how easily it can be put down in a hurry! A must with kids all around. I'm finishing a Christmas afghan for my sis-in-law.